I firmly believe that I need to have a yearly post of things I am loving. In order to show some creativity I will refer to this year's list as "Things I am slightly obsessed with." Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Zumba - Before I dive into this I would like to point out that I am NOT a dancer. I was always the sporty little girl. However this doesn't mean that I don't watch "So You Think You Can Dance" and wish desperately that I could express myself through movement. That being said I LOVE zumba. I love working out for an hour or two a week by shaking my booty to my hearts content. I always thought I would attend zumba and feel embarrassed because of my lack of dance skills. Not true. I may not have the best rhythm but homegirl can shake this bootay! Plus 90% of the other people in the class aren't that great either. So it works. I love the music, I love the teachers and their ridiculous enthusiasm. I love that when I am done with the class I have sweat dripping down my back. I love that I am totally sore the next day. Seriously, working out shouldn't be this fun. But it is. If you haven't tried it - do yourself a favor and try it. It's a total riot! Also for the record I look nothing like these people. In fact the only person that looks like these people is the teacher. You get the idea though.
2. Mad Men. People you have to watch this show! I have talked several times about how amazing Dexter is (and I still firmly believe it) but Mad Men has taken over what I consider the "best show on TV" spot. "But why is it so great becky?" you may ask. It just is. It's a beautiful and sometimes stark representation of the 60s. The plot of the actual show (ad agency workers and their shenanigans) isn't that exciting but the small things they throw in the show make it genius. The gender roles, parenting skills, smoking, drinking, work habits, civil rights issues and the political climate is what makes this show fascinating. Lets not forget the fashion - sadly I really feel like I should have been born in the 60s. It's fantastic. Plus the writing is perfection.
Now I would be lying if I didn't admit that a large part of the reason that I watch this show has to do with the lead actor. My new boyfriend (and number 2 on my top 5 list) Don Draper (aka Jon Hamm). Hot! Smoking hot! Side note: John Stewart had him on his show and confessed that Jon Hamm was his "man crush". Love it.
3. Red Mango - Just typing those words makes my mouth water. I could eat Red Mango every single day. It's too damn expensive so I won't but I wish I could. It's so tarty and delicious. Don't give me any fancy flavors, I just like the original with a little mango and chocolate. Plus if I get a small it's only 3 weight watchers points! Score! Clearly that 3 points doesn't count the chocolate pieces but I can only do so much people. Also, there is a frozen yogurt - decorated in super modern furniture - in every strip mall in this city. Red Mango is the best. End of discussion.
4. The Bachelor - oh man how I love this show. The Bachelor is a highlight of any television season to me. This season it totally was bumped up a notch when I heard the news that Michelle Cartwright Money was going to be on it. Michelle and I were Student Body Officers together in high school - here's proof.
She is the hot brunette right next to me. We were friends and I always felt a little cooler because I was friends with her. Michelle's beauty was famous among high school students. I heard many times "You are a Cottonwood SBO!? So is that HOT GIRL Michelle." Well it's true she is on the show. Not only is she on the show but she is causing so much drama. I have to say knowing the girl that every other girl in America hates right now is hilarious. I am convinced it is an act. I can't be 100% sure. Michelle and I haven't been "friends" for 10 years now. I have only bumped into her here and there. She'll still stunningly beautiful though. (I kind of hate her for it)
The other best part of The Bachelor are the Monday night viewing parties we have been having. It's fantastic and such good fun to mock the entire 2 hour program. Sometimes we get so embarrassed watching how the girls act that we have to watch through our "goggles". Don't ask me the direct science behind this but it helps. It really does.
5. "Room". This book is now firmly in my top 5 books. It is the most beautiful and touching book I have read in years people. "Room" is a story told by the perspective of 5-year-old Jack. Jack and his mother live in "room" and early on in the plot you realize that they are captives. His mom was kidnapped as a teenager and has been forced to live in this room. She has her captives's son - Jack. I know it sounds terrible and gruesome but it isn't. It's lovely. Jack has no awareness that a world exists outside of his "room". Everything he knows is what they have. He believes that the people in TV are fake and that anything outside of his "room" is outer-space. I don't want to give much more away but you must read it. It's simple and stunning and beautiful.
6. Cardigans. I could wear a cardigan every day of my life. A cardigan can take a boring work outfit and add a splash of style. A cardigan can be put over a basic funky t-shirt and become stylish. A cardigan is comfortable and warm on these cold smoggy days. I have way too many of them but I have put them to excellent use this winter! I currently don't own either of these but I am hoping to shortly. Damn you car payment!!
7. Movie Awards Season - The Oscars are coming up. In fact I am going to host an Oscar party this year. A party in which my guests must come dressed up and we'll have fabulous food and cocktails. Who is in!? The best part of awards season (besides being able to stare at all my celebrities) is the movies themselves. Gasp! Really?
Really. I still have a couple of movies to see but I have seen most already and it's been great! Here are my hopeful wins for a couple of awards:
Best Actress - Natalie Portman. She was stunning in Black Swan and deserves to win. Breathtaking.
Best Actor - Colin Firth in The King's Speech. Wonderfully touching and heartbreaking.
Best Supporting Actress - Hailey Steinfield from True Grit. Damn this girl can act. I heard that it took 15,000 girls before they found her. It's her first film and she was remarkable.
Best Supporting Actor - Mark Ruffalo from The Kids Are Alright. He made this movie. That's all I will say about this.
Best Picture - Black Swan. There I said it. Somehow me saying this will help me decide because it's really between Black Swan and The King's Speech. True Grit was wonderful, as was Inception, Toy Story 3, Social Network AND The Kids Are Alright. But I am going for Black Swan. Woo hoo!
8. My new car. Forget about the fact that I have a cracked windshield (oh the profanity that came streaming out of my mouth after seeing this)- I LOVE my car. I love that it still smells so deliciously new when I get in it (and not like crayons). I love that I have functioning cup holders. I love that it doesn't creak when I drive it - and that the alarm doesn't go off unexpectedly. I love my cruise control and power windows. I love that it is a unique car that you don't see many of on the road. I don't mind driving out of my way just because I enjoy driving it so much. I did name it (don't tell Seth). His name is Peregrin. Pippin for short. I think it fits him.
9. Two-Year-Olds. Terrible twos? I think not. The last couple of weeks I have had the chance to hang out with some pretty amazing two-year-olds. I watched Krachel's little girl Lexie the other night and had a blast. We loved getting our wiggles out together. Then I tended Oscar who melted my heart with his songs and sloppy kisses. I enjoyed dinner with Calvin who did a fabulous "mash-up" of "Jingle Bells" and "I Am A Child of God". I have laughed watching Drex and his constant obsession with vacuums. Seriously - I love this age! Can't they stay this cute forever?
10. Carmex chapstick. You may be thinking, "Well interesting Becky but what do you have on this list that is applicable to me?" Well I'll tell you! I'll round off the list with something completely reasonable and awesome - a good chapstick. I got a tube of this at the Bike MS event in Logan last summer and it changed my life. It is THE best chapstick you can find. Trust me, I know my chapstick. It stays on, it isn't too sticky and it lasts a LONG time. Looking for a good chapstick - invest in some of this. You won't be sorry.